Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Some Storybook Favorites from Past Classes

Listed below are some of my favorite storybooks written by students in past classes!

Death's Final Story

I thought that this story gave an interesting perspective: that of Death itself. Death is personified and he talks the reader through some of his more memorable jobs. Through Death's eyes, the author walks us through stories of mortality from throughout global history. It's fun to give character to concepts like death, and it's a neat creative opportunity to make such a character your own. Death is a little sarcastic at times here and the bit of humor that shines through is a good foil to an inherently morbid subject.

Hell On Earth

The author of Hell on Earth had a unique take on Hell: it's all around us. Addiction, abuse, and homicide are taken up as topics of these dark stories. I chose this storybook as a favorite because its central message makes a moral statement on today's world. I'd love to see a sequel with cases of heaven on earth, maybe just to have a counterbalance to these heavy stories. Joking aside, I thought it was brave of the author to take on topics that hit so close to home. The second person perspective is almost haunting as the reader is made to feel complicit in the wrongdoings described.

Mythical Creatures: The Question is the Thing

This one's fun! I'm always down for a good old-fashioned adventure story. The author of this storybook takes the reader on a mythical tour through the adventures of Henry and Olivia. After meeting a sphinx, the two have more questions than they receive answers at first. This story reminds me of the books that I read as a kid, so there's a little bit of a nostalgia factor here. I almost think that I might go in this direction with my own storybook!

Below is a picture from Mythical Creatures, selected here because I thought the consistent imagery of mountains and forests set a great scale for the adventurous theme.

Forested mountains with an eerie fog. (courtesy pxhere)

No comments:

Post a Comment