Saturday, March 31, 2018

Reading Notes: Beowulf (Part A)

I was excited to read the legend of Beowulf this week because it should give me material for my storybook. I need some terrible monster for my character to battle with, and it seems like Grendel will be a great point of inspiration. Part A of this reading served to build tension around what is bound to be an exciting battle between Beowulf and Grendel.


A painting of Beowulf fighting a dragon by J. R. Skelton (Wikimedia Commons)

One thing I noticed while reading this story is the value that is placed on bravery. Especially evident in the exchange between Beowulf and Unferth, courage is the most admirable quality in this to those who established this legend. Beowulf is very strong, but he's kind of mocked for it. It's his bravery that wins him respect.

Bibliography. The Story of Beowulf by Strafford Riggs. Web Link.

No comments:

Post a Comment