Saturday, March 31, 2018

Reading Notes: Beowulf (Part B)

In this section of the reading, Beowulf has many battles. Consistently, his enemies use magic. The nature of the magic in this legend is really interesting: There are spells to deepen sleep and to sense the plots of faraway foes. I wondered how Grendel came to be, because his "mother" seemed so different in nature than him. She was magical, so I wonder if she created him by some unnatural means?

A painting of Grendel by J. R. Skelton. (Wikimedia Commons)

It turns out that the picture I found for Part A of Beowulf fighting a dragon came from his final battle. At first, I was surprised that Beowulf died during his fight against the dragon, but the more I think about it the more I feel that a "warrior's death" is fitting. Especially with the emphasis on his bravery, it's only a fitting end.


Bibliography. The Story of Beowulf by Strafford Riggs. Web Link.

No comments:

Post a Comment