Monday, March 26, 2018

Reading Notes: Great Plains (Part B)

Compared to the first part of the reading, this reading had more stories about animals and how they came to be the way that they are. The rabbit seemed to have a consistent character, usually tricky and self-confident. When I write my own story this week, I think that I'll make it about the rabbit.

A rabbit. (Wikipedia)

There were also a number of ghost stories in this section, but they weren't as much guides for the afterlife as they were horror stories. Ghosts in these myths tend to be antagonistic and fear-inspiring. I was most surprised to learn that in at least one legend, ghosts can be shot and wounded. I was confused though, because a shot to the leg appeared to wound the ghost's head.

Bibliography. Myths and Legends of the Great Plains by Katharine Berry Judson. Web Link.

No comments:

Post a Comment